The name prostatitis comes from the Latin - prostatitis anatomical term - prostata - this is the prostate gland + - itis - this suffix indicates inflammation. Otherwise, prostatitis is an inflammatory lesion of the prostate gland.
More than half of the stronger sex over 45 years old is faced with the problem of prostatitis. This disease of the reproductive system causes suffering and significantly impairs the quality of life. In the absence of proper therapy, it provokes the development of dangerous complications.
Therefore, it is important to remember the symptoms of prostatitis in men, which will help to recognize the problem in time and begin the correct treatment.
Prostatitis - what is it
The prostate gland is considered one of the most important organs of the male reproductive system. It is no coincidence that they say that the prostate is the second heart of a man. It is located between the base of the penis and the anus. Its key function is the production of a secret that acts as a breeding ground for sperm. Therefore, all members of the stronger sex need to remember what a prostate is and how to maintain its health.
The inflammatory process localized in the prostate is called prostatitis. The disease is accompanied by a mass of unpleasant symptoms that bring suffering to a man. In severe cases, an abscess develops in the prostate, which threatens not only health, but also human life. Often, prostatitis acts as a factor that provokes the growth of a malignant tumor.
For reference.The disease develops against the background of an infectious agent entering the genitourinary system. Pathogenic microflora penetrates the prostate through the urinary system. Prostatitis is often provoked by staphylococci, enterococci, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus, Escherichia coli and some other microorganisms.
Prostatitis - causes
To understand what kind of disease prostatitis is, you need to understand the reasons for its occurrence. The following factors can provoke the development of the problem:
- Entering the body of pathogenic microflora. It can be carried in urine, lymph, or blood. Most often, microorganisms pass from the urethra.
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle. Lack of physical activity leads to the appearance of congestion in the pelvic organs. They provoke the development of an inflammatory process in the prostate.
- Groin injuries.
- Hypothermia. A man should always make sure that his lower torso remains warm.
- The presence of intestinal diseases, frequent constipation.
- Inflammatory processes localized in nearby organs.
- Irregular sex life. Prostatitis in men is often the result of prolonged abstinence or the use of interrupted intercourse tactics.
- Chronic diseases of the respiratory and urinary system.
- Prolonged exposure to stressful situations, mental strain.
- Decrease in the protective functions of the body.
As you can see, although prostatitis is an inflammatory disease, not only microorganisms can be the cause. Banal hypothermia does not seem to be associated with microorganisms, but the result is inflammation.
Experts have proven that the likelihood of getting sick is several times higher in men with bad habits. Chronic intoxication with alcoholic beverages or nicotine leads to the fact that the body loses its ability to resist infection that gets into it. To develop the right therapy strategy, it is important to determine what causes of prostatitis have become decisive in your situation.
For reference.The development of the disease may also have a psychological cause. Therefore, if you find such a problem, it is recommended to consult with a psychotherapist.
Symptoms of prostatitis
The first signs of prostatitis may be poorly expressed, often a man simply does not pay attention to them. The following symptoms should alert you:
- Increased body temperature. It becomes a consequence of the inflammatory process.
- Increased urge to urinate.
- Discomfort in the urethra. It increases during the emptying of the bladder. There is a slight itching and burning sensation.
- Blotches of white are found in urine.
- Drawing pain in the lower abdomen.
- Decreased libido.
The result of prostatitis is not only a decrease in sexual desire, but also loss of sensitivity during intercourse. This is referred to as a lubricated orgasm. It is characterized by a loss of sensory acuity and a feeling of dissatisfaction.
Signs of prostatitis will directly depend on the form of the disease. The following types of disease are distinguished:
- Acute bacterial.It becomes a consequence of the active reproduction of pathogenic microflora. It is often purulent in nature. It is accompanied by a significant increase in body temperature, chills, a feeling of weakness, severe pain in the groin area, bouts of nausea, difficulty urinating. If you examine the prostate gland, you will find a significant increase in size. Treatment of prostatitis in such a situation should be started as early as possible. Otherwise, the disease develops into a chronic form.
- Asymptomatic.With this type of disease, symptoms do not appear. It is possible to diagnose the problem only during a medical examination. Therefore, men should visit a doctor regularly.
- Chronic bacterial.It develops after untimely or illiterate treatment of an acute form of the disease. Signs of such prostatitis are pulling pains in the groin, problems with urination, a feeling of bloating in the bladder. Many patients experience prolonged erections during sleep. At the moment of intimacy, the erectile function, on the contrary, is greatly weakened. Blotches of blood appear in the ejaculate. The clinical picture is complemented by signs of general intoxication of the body: constant weakness, loss of working capacity, headaches, loss of appetite.
- Chronic non-bacterial or as it is also called "chronic pelvic pain syndrome. "With this type of prostatitis, monotonous discomfort appears in the groin area. Their intensity can decrease or increase depending on the influence of external factors. The disease is accompanied by a decrease in sexual desire, difficulty urinating. From such a problem, a man often falls into depression, he is tormented by insomnia and frequent mood swings.
It is possible to maintain health only if the symptoms of prostatitis are detected on time, and the treatment is started correctly. It is impossible to make an accurate diagnosis on your own, therefore it is necessary to consult a specialist at the first alarming signs.
Complications of prostatitis
If signs of prostatitis in men are not detected in time, then the disease develops into a complicated form. It becomes the cause of the development of concomitant complications:
- Abscess of the prostate. The process of formation of a purulent focus in the prostate gland starts. In this case, the body temperature rises to 40 degrees. Severe pain appears in the lower abdomen. If medical assistance is not provided in a timely manner, the abscess will open. Pus will spill over the rectum and urethra. This can result in blood poisoning.
- Spread of infection to nearby organs. Pathogenic microflora spreads through the urinary system and causes the development of pyelonephritis, cystitis, inflammation of the testicles and appendages.
- Infertility. From the characteristics of the prostate in men, it is clear that it is an important organ in the reproductive system. Its normal functioning is responsible for the quality of the sperm. With prostatitis, there is a significant decrease in sperm activity. Complete infertility is often diagnosed.
According to the latest research, prostatitis can cause a malignant tumor to grow in the prostate gland. This disease is fatal. Therefore, it is extremely important to determine the causes of the problem in time, and start treatment under the supervision of a doctor.
Diagnostics of the prostatitis
It is impossible to distinguish prostatitis symptoms from others and to start treatment on your own. It is imperative to consult a doctor. The specialist will assess the severity of the disease and develop a therapy method. The following diagnostic techniques are used for the examination:
- Taking anamnesis and rectal examination of the patient. The doctor detects the presence of aggravating factors, assesses the condition of the prostate gland and the severity of symptoms.
- Analysis of the secretion secreted by the prostate gland. In laboratory conditions, it is possible to identify the presence of pathogenic microflora in biological material, its type and features.
- Ultrasound of the prostate. It allows you to assess the condition of the gland and adjacent organs.
- Blood test. Along with a biochemical study, the level of prostatic antigen is determined.
- Analysis of urine.
- Uroflowmetry. Using this technique, it is possible to identify violations of urination.
By collecting the results of all studies, the doctor can determine the condition of the prostate and the characteristics of prostatitis. After that, adequate therapy is selected.
Prostatitis - treatment
All men who have crossed the mark at 45 years old need to remember what prostatitis is and how to properly treat it. The therapy program should be developed by a urologist or andrologist. Hospitalization is only necessary in severe cases. More often, it is possible to cope with the disease on an outpatient basis. The following techniques are used:
- Use of medicines.
- Compliance with a special diet.
- Physical exercises.
It is impossible to self-medicate with prostatitis, this will lead to the development of complications. To achieve a positive result, you must strictly follow all the recommendations of a specialist.
The use of medicines
Eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of prostatitis, stop the development of inflammation and cope with the root cause of the disease with the help of drugs. The following groups of medicines are used:
- AntibioticsThey help to quickly suppress the activity of pathogenic microflora, which becomes the cause of the disease. They are prescribed for both acute and chronic forms. They must be taken in strict accordance with the instructions. It is important to complete the full course of medication. Otherwise, the relapse of the disease will happen very quickly.
- Anti-inflammatory. They help get rid of the inflammatory process in the prostate gland and relieve negative symptoms.
- Analgesics. Used when a man is in severe pain.
- Immunomodulators. The disease begins against the background of a sharp decrease in immunity. Only by restoring the protective functions of the body, you can achieve a positive result.
Please note that it is better to use suppositories for prostatitis. This type of delivery of the active substance meets all safety and speed requirements.
If the patient shows signs of depression, apathy and stress, sedatives are prescribed to restore mental balance.
It is strictly forbidden to independently interrupt the course of treatment or replace prescribed drugs with analogues. This will lead to the development of complications.
Manifestations of prostatitis bring suffering to a man. To maximize the speed of treatment and increase the effectiveness of the methods used, it is necessary to adhere to a dietary diet. You will have to follow several recommendations:
- Refuse the use of unhealthy foods: smoked meats, semi-finished products, sugary soda, fatty and fried foods. Minimize the amount of sweets and baked goods in your diet.
- Vegetable dishes will help to strengthen the immune system. The menu must include fruits, herbs and berries.
- Eat more foods that have a positive effect on blood circulation. These include onions, garlic, citrus fruits, and seafood.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Benefits are brought by vegetable juices, fruit drinks, compotes, rosehip decoction.
- During the treatment of prostatitis, the use of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Legumes, sorrel, offal, spices, fatty pork are also harmful. These foods provoke congestion in the body.
If you follow a diet, a man's prostatitis can be cured faster. Proper nutrition helps to strengthen the immune system and relieves the increased stress on the digestive system.
An effective way of treating prostatitis in men and its negative symptoms is the use of physiotherapy techniques. They help to improve tissue trophism, increase blood circulation in the gland area. The following procedures will help to cure the disease:
- Transrectal microwave hyperthermia. With the help of a special device, the prostate gland is warmed up. This method helps to avoid surgery. It is suitable in situations where the use of medications has not brought any results.
- Diadinomophoresis. The essence of the technique lies in the simultaneous effect of diadynamic currents on the gland and the administration of drugs. The procedure allows for effective treatment of prostatitis and pain relief.
- Laser therapy. The prostate gland is influenced by a laser beam. As a result, the organ heats up. That enhances blood circulation and restores metabolic processes. This technique quickly cures an early-stage disease. It is prohibited to use it for the treatment of the acute phase of the disease.
- Ultrasonic phonophoresis. During the procedure, ultrasound is applied to the tissue of the gland. This enhances trophism in them, promotes the rapid resorption of infiltrates.
The choice of a specific method of how to treat a disease will depend on its form and severity. The age of the patient and the characteristics of his body must be taken into account.
It is contraindicated to use physiotherapeutic methods of therapy for humans. Suffering from epilepsy, disorders of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, anemia and a tendency to bleed. In the presence of malignant neoplasms, this method of treatment is also not used.
Massage is used to effectively eliminate prostatitis syndromes. It allows you to remove the secret accumulated in the gland, enhance blood circulation. The procedure allows you to keep the prostate in good shape, which has a beneficial effect on its condition.
Prostatitis in men is treated with finger massage of the prostate. The man is placed on his side or on all fours. The doctor lubricates the finger in petroleum jelly and inserts it into the anus. He gropes for a gland located three to five centimeters from the anus. After that, the massage begins. The movements are smooth and accurate. The finger moves up and down, in circles and a figure eight.
In some cases, a man may experience pain during the procedure. Complete relaxation will help to avoid this. The psychological attitude of a person is also important. If the patient understands the importance and benefits of massage, then his treatment is as effective as possible.
One of the causes of male disease prostatitis is congestion in the pelvic organs. Regular exercise will help you cope with this problem. Exercise strengthens muscles, allows you to keep the gland in good shape, and enhances metabolic processes.
The following exercises are considered the most effective:
- Contraction and relaxation of the sphincter muscles. This action is repeated 30 times. At first, unpleasant sensations may appear. Later, the muscles will strengthen and the discomfort will go away.
- Cold and hot shower. Separately, with a jet of water, you can massage the perineal area.
- Massaging the area around the sphincter with your hands. It is better to carry out the procedure while lying down.
Sports activities and walks in the fresh air will help complement your workouts. Swimming is especially beneficial.
The method of therapy is determined based on how the disease manifests itself and at what stage it is. In severe cases, surgery is indicated. If the prostate is blocking the urethra, removal of the inflamed tissue is required. This is done by the following methods:
- Transurethral resection. All tissues affected by the infection are excised.
- Protatectomy. This operation removes the prostate and seminal vesicles. The consequence of such treatment can be impotence and the development of enuresis.
Surgical intervention is fraught with serious complications. Therefore, it is important to prevent the transition of the disease to a severe form. As soon as alarming symptoms began to appear, treatment should be started.
The manifested symptoms of the disease bring moral and physical suffering. Compliance with the basic rules of prevention will help prevent this:
- Inflammation of the prostate can begin after hypothermia. Therefore, it is strictly forbidden to sit on cold surfaces. Always dress for the weather, try not to get caught in the rain.
- Give up bad habits.
- Undergo regular medical examinations, and promptly treat all identified problems.
- Have a regular sex life. In this case, it is better to remain faithful to a trusted partner. Messy relationships can lead to sexually transmitted diseases.
- Move as much as possible. Spend your free time walking. Go to the gym whenever possible.
Prostatitis is a dangerous disease that threatens the health of the male reproductive system. Every effort must be made to prevent its development. If the disease has already manifested itself, do not self-medicate, immediately contact a specialist for help.